Certified Master Coach (CMC) is the mark of competency for the Business Coaching profession and is recognised internationally through the GlobalCMC.org. The CMC designation is consistent with internationally accepted standards and indicates that a business, executive or leadership coach meets certain requirements of character, education, expertise and experience. Members with a minimum of 500 hours’ of face to face coaching experience are eligible to become a Certified Master Coaches (CMC) by assessment. These assessments are offered to full members of the Institute as well as to existing Certified Management Consultants who have met the additional criteria. To retain the CMC designation, members must perform 100 hours of professional development every three years. A CMC Practicing certificate is issued annually upon fulfilment of the stated requirements.
By setting high entry standards and continuing demands for certification, the IMCSA protects and enhances the reputation of the profession as a whole. By requiring continuing professional development of its certified members, the IMCSA ensures that certified members are in a position to deliver the highest standard of service.
The demand for certification status is above all other offerings of the IMCSA and members continuously rate certification as the single most important activity of an Institute. The standards for certification applied by the IMCSA in South Africa comply with international standards.
An additional benefit of international certification is automatic reciprocity and recognition between member institutes.
Clients will be able to determine whether the coach they are dealing with is certified, by contacting the IMCSA. National and international bodies, including governments, will be able to draw on the register of certified coaches. Clients will obviously not be obliged to use CMC’s but will be encouraged to do so.
Certification Eligibility and Process
The certification process is based on the following requirements:
- Support by other certified members and/or reputable clients in the form of testimonials
- Evidence of bona fide coaching hours totaling not less 500 hours
- Evidence of an undergraduate or post graduate degree or an additional 8 years of management experience in lieu of a degree
- Sufficient management experience or line support experience to indicate competence in management and its principles
- Signature of the code of ethics
- A completed assignment study on a chosen project, mapping your experience in each of the required competency areas to the assignment, highlighting that you have understanding and experience of these
- Undertaking an interview with qualified assessors to confirm the details of your application and to perform a summative assessment of you as a certified master coach.
Once you have sent through all application documents and your entry membership level has been determined by one of our assessors, you are required to pay the appropriate fee for the current year. You will then receive an electronic certificate and invoice as proof of payment and have a membership number assigned to you. Should you require a printed certificate, you will need to arrange this personally.
Please note that if you have less than 500 hours of bona fide coaching experience,you will need to accumulate sufficient hours until you qualify for certification.
Full membership requires evidence of 200 or more hours of coaching experience as described in the member application form. Only once you have qualified for full membership, and you have accumulated a minimum of 500 hours of coaching experience, you can begin the process of certification,which requires full membership as the starting point and is a competency based assessment, requiring a comprehensive portfolio of evidence before the certification assessment interview is scheduled.
For more information, download the CMC certification pack here.